This French violin, made at the end of the 19th century in the renowned workshops of Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy (J.T.L.) in Mirecourt, is a highly sought-after instrument. The history of violin making within Thibouville-Lamy dates back to 1834 when Charles Buthod, a collaborator of J.B. Vuillaume, opened a violin workshop in Mirecourt. Over the years, the workshop grew in size and reputation, with production being sold both in France and abroad. In 1857, Louis Emile Jérome Thibouville joined the company, which was then named Husson-Buthod-Thibouville. In 1866, Jérôme Thibouville became the owner, and the company was renamed Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy.
The workshop produced a wide range of instruments of good quality, catering to both the French market and exports. Many of these instruments can still be found in Great Britain and the United States.
This Violin dated 1888
The violin features a back made of two pieces of maple with a light medium curl, while the front is made of two pieces of spruce with even grain. The oil varnish is a golden colour on a yellow ground. The Ribs and neck are matching. Fully blocked and lined with spruce.
The violin has been set up in our workshop after being fully restored. Smooth-fitting ebony pegs, dressed fingerboard, high-quality Despiau bridge, Tailpiece, and ebony teka chin rest. A set of dominants produces an excellent and even tone across all the strings.
The violin is labeled with the JTL monogram of the Lyre with printed “Copy” then handwritten “of Stradivari”. Copy Of Stradivari.
When being fully restored the violin was found to have a date hand written in pencil “1888” and two faint Initials, which could not be made out. These were found under the neck root.
Back Length 358mm
Upper Bout 165mm
Middle Bout 110mm
Lower Bouts 204mm
top of page
bottom of page